Are There Signs Of Termites?
While cities like Carlsbad in Southeast New Mexico have fewer incidence of termite infestations than the rest of the country, we still have our fair share. 42% of our inspections turn up positive for active termites and other wood destroying insects. 80% of our inspections find signs of past termite activity.
Even if you don't see obvious signs of termites and you don't know if your home has had a treatment or inspection within the last five years, it's probably a good idea to do so.
Preventive and early detection is key. Newer construction and homes being built in Carlsbad are pre-treated for termite control. If done properly, these buildings should be protected for several years. But, not always 100%.
Many of the signs of termites are obvious. And then, some aren't. Mud tubes and unidentified flying insects inside your home are pretty obvious and need to be checked out. Again, other signs may not be so obvious.
"Compared to the cost of damages and repairs, a termite inspection is way inexpensive and the peace of mind is priceless"
How Can I Tell If My Home Has Been Treated For Termites?
Termite treatment procedures are fairly standard for all areas. However, there may be variations from State to State. The information I give is specific to Carlsbad and the State of New Mexico where we are licensed to perform termite inspections and treatments. Part of our inspection service is to help you determine if your home has ever been treated.
- If your home has concrete directly around it, look for drill holes or plugs in the concrete. While this will be an indication that the home has been treated, it doesn't indicate how long ago the treatment was made.
- Check your real estate purchase records for a wood destroying insect inspection report, a treatment warranty, or paperwork from the builder.
When Should I Call For A Wood Destroying Insect Inspection?
- If there are any obvious signs that were mentioned above.
- If your home is 10 years or older and you don't know if it's ever been treated or inspected within the last 5 years
- If there are any mud tubes on the home, surrounding buildings, fences and other wood structures, or in the yard.
- If there are any signs of damage whether it can be explained as water damage or not
- If there are any swarms of flying insects in or around home
- If you find wings or other insect parts on windowsills or anywhere in the home
Termite Detection & Prevention
How Do Termites Get Into Your Home
Knowing how termites get into your home in the first place can help you take steps to lessen the chances of you getting a termite infestation.
Subterranean Termites travel in two ways
- Underground (sub-terranean) - Subterranean Termites travel underground and come up into structures where there is wood to soil contact. When there is no wood to soil contact, they make mud tubes to travel through up walls, footings, and supports. They can also travel through foundation cracks.
Do periodic checks of your home foundation and underneath the home if possible. Look for any wood to earth contact or signs like mud tubes. Fix the situation and get a termite inspection as soon as possible if you encounter either.
- Winged Termites (Elates) - In Carlsbad, these flyers are most active in the Spring. Often mistaken as flying ants, winged termites known as elates swarm in order to mate and form new colonies. If you see any flying insect swarms that are questionable, get it checked out. If you see inside the home or even evidence such as wings on window sills, get a professional inspection.
Drywood Termites - While drywood termites are not common here in Carlsbad or all of Southeast New Mexico for that fact, there have been a few cases. They are more difficult to detect because they can enter the home from any floor or level as Elates rather than just from the soil. They can enter through cracks, damaged wood, or architectural defects. Prevention would include keeping the home in good order, scheduled pest control, and periodic inspections.
Professional Termite Control Service
At Horizon, we pride ourselves on our ability to identify the signs of termites in our inspections and the success rate of our control treatments. In Carlsbad and Eddy County New Mexico, Horizon Pest Control has had a hand in setting the service standards in termite control, inspections, and treatments. For service, give us a call today at 575-725-9331.